Monday, August 09, 2010

Public Art



My youngest and her gaggle of gal pals are always busy, “Playing as children mean playing is the most serious thing in the world.”

They have a limited set of yards to explore each day since but, for them, these places are never the same from day to day. One day it is a ball field the next a dark wood of dragons and elfs sometimes a classroom other times a kitchen. Some days all the above.

When I got home on Friday my back yard was an industrial art studio with papers, crayons and water colors everywhere. Upon completion of their days work they processed around town and taped up their work on each pole they past.

The best example of Guerilla Art I’ve encountered. Better than the ones I participated in during my more down-with-the-man days.

As cars past these master pieces it made those, who looked, smile and point. Beautiful.

At this point I wanted to quote Chesterton form an essay that appeared in Gilbert magazine several years ago on public art. Well, for the life of me I cannot find that issue.
I know better than to quote from memory with this crowd so I will give you the gist of the essay. Public art that the public does not like is not public art but private art exhibited in public. The people need to have a say in what is displayed.

No comments: