Thursday, June 02, 2005

Motion Picture GKC

The first Father Brown motion picture, a 67 minute feature starring Walter Connolly as the priest, Paul Lukas as Flambeau, and Robert Loraine as Valentin, was released by Paramount in 1935 with the title Father Brown, Detective. Chesterton saw the film himself and said he liked it. Several inadvertent flaws in the film's presentation of clergymen suggested to Chesterton the basic idea for a new Father Brown story, "The Vampire of the Village." [The Motion Picture Guide: 1927-1983, vol. E-G, Chicago: Cinebooks, 1986, 823; Maisie Ward, Gilbert Keith Chesterton, New York 1943, 597]

2 comments:

Joe said...

deja vu

thanks for the source

Anonymous said...

Ah, crud. I thought I may have ran this one before, but I keep notes regarding what squibs I've ran, and which I haven't. This one showed up as unused.

Teaches me for blogging while drunk.